This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Tuesday 22 October 2013

Crunching the Kilometers on the WPT

Today, I went out alone as Marcelle had done some extensive wading yesterday and her legs were quite sore. The day is a sunny one and I headed up to the start of the northern leg of the Wild Pacific Trail.

There's a bit more surf action this morning, but nothing really, compared to what we hope to see here during the winter.

I walk up to the branch off to the highway (above the Artists' Loops), which is about 5 km from our door. Along the trail, details spring out at me to be photographed and then vistas open up (with convenient benches) to be scrutinized in languorous detail.

 

 

 

 

Here, you can see my setup with one NEX 7 body (usually with my 55-210mm lens) while I have the other NEX 7 with my Voigtländer 28mm f2 Ultron lens around my neck. They alternate onto the tripod as needed.

Today, I was also shooting video (full HD) of waves breaking against the shore, or the chaos of the swells as they rise and fall over rocks. Although I have a special panning video head, I shoot virtually every shot locked down, so the camera on a good sturdy ballhead (Kirk BH-3) works splendidly. I'll be putting together a short on waves and will feature it on the blog sometime in the future.

For now, here's a teaser shot of the lovely aquatic chaos of the coastal waters.

 

So, in total, I clocked about 10km round trip... not bad for an old bugger!

Enjoy, and see you tomorrow.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment