This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Keep Those Home Fires Burning

I write this sitting in the living room, warmed by the soothing heat of a wood stove, at this point oblivious to the outside inclemency. It's been quite cold the last while here in Ukee, and our electric heating sucks (both at providing adequate heat, as well as sucking the money all too efficiently from our wallets), so the wood stove really helps. The trick is getting it started and then keeping it going.

I got out for a turn around the Amphitrite lighthouse loop, and was surprised to see the miniature hail you see in the above opening image. I could still see it pocketed here and there, out of the rain, like little rivulets of giant table salt.

The day was overcast with sunny periods and brisk wind, with lively swells and surf. I'm finding now that before I press the shutter, I'm having to think about what I've framed. Did I already take this shot before? For the scenics, that's almost certainly the case. But then what was the weather doing then and what's it doing now? Most often, that will be the key. John Sarnoff once said that Ansel Adams primarily photographed the weather. That's what greatly appeals to me also, the dramatic sky to either help frame foreground action/elements, or to showcase the sky itself, the horizon pushed down low in the frame.

 

 

 

That's it for yesterday's post... I've got to go and stoke the damn fire! Ciao.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment