This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Saturday 15 February 2014

Wreck Beach - South

Yesterday, I decided to do the south end of Florencia Bay, off Willowbrea Ave. It's a bit of a hike in, with quite a lot of stairs (which is why we prefer the northern access off Wick Beach Road), but once you get down to the beach, it's worth it. The beach is also known locally as Wreck Beach, as the shipwreck of the Florencia occurred here.

According to my iPhone app, Tides US, I arrived just after high tide, but I noticed that during the time I spent there, the waves seemed to come ever further up the beach, chasing me right back onto the rocks and logs.

The weather was a mixture of overcast and rain with some sun interspersed occasionally. A hanging, intermittent mist didn't allow much for broader views, so as usual, I concentrated on details.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

At one point, just as I was sitting down on a log, I heard a plane, and looking up, spotted it just low over the water (and disappearing quickly from view). I managed to snap a quick burst of two frames, one of which had a bit better surf. In post processing, I then cropped it to more of a 1:1 ratio view and gave it a darker, more mysterious look.

That's it for life on the edge. Ciao for now...

 

No comments :

Post a Comment