This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Tuesday 4 March 2014

The Chaos Calls To Us

I went out alone on Sunday, driving up to the northern trailhead of the Wild Pacific Trail and then walking slowly down to the rocky promontory that we call Marcelle's Point. Along the way, I stop off at most of the benches and scan the view to see what may be new and interesting (weather-wise and/or ocean-wise).

My lenses today are Voigtländer 12mm and 90mm (18mm and a 135mm at 35EQ), so whatever I shoot is constrained to the field of view those focal lengths provide. This is in contrast to shooting with zoom lenses, which I tend to do more often.

The 12mm super-wide is unbeatable for getting the big picture view.

Whereas the 90mm short telephoto is more adept to picking off the details. With an aperture of f3.5, it renders a crisp main subject, and a marvelous out-of-focus background (bokeh).

Here, I've a shot taken with the 12mm, of my other body with the 90mm on it, followed by the shot that it took. This, quite graphically, illustrates the different views of the two lenses!

 

All along the trail itself, there is a wealth of beauty and wonder that is there just to delight in if you only have the eyes and the time.

 

In the recent movie, Prometheus, one of the characters exclaims, "God does not build in straight lines", and that struck a chord with me. Only in the basaltic columns and in crystalline forms do we see a "straight" line. Beyond that, we get into the rounded shapes (such as our bodies) and then eventually it all goes to chaos. But the really interesting thing, visually, is that you can get these 'states' colliding and offering up wonderful mutations of order and chaos.

Sitting on a rocky crag, just metres above the surf, I can spend long intervals just mesmerized by the swells. The absolute, ever-changing chaos that swirls and heaves, advances and recedes and calls to us all.

 

 

It's endlessly fascinating. KKCO

 

No comments :

Post a Comment