This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Wednesday 4 June 2014

Black & White: Part 2

Today, I went down to the south part of the Wild Pacific Trail, where the Amphitrite Lighthouse is situated, to continue my experiments on whether I can get good B&W images right out of my cameras. My methodology was to set the camera (NEX 7) to capture RAW plus a JPEG file, setting the exposure to avoid blowing out the highlights (blown highlights are unrecoverable). I then simply resized the JPEG files to 1200 x 800 pixels, but processed the RAW files to yield the best results for a B&W final image.

Here is an example that shows how the camera captured the B&W JPEG file (this is straight from the camera, only resized):

As you can see, the image is essentially exposed for the sky, and consequently, the shadow areas (which comprise a good portion of the image) lack much significant details. So, back to my normal post processing, which entails minor adjustments in Adobe Camera RAW to ensure a good histogram spread from dark to light. I then open it into Nik Color Efex Pro 4, where I have created a custom recipe that includes the following filters:

  1. Graduated Neutral Density (as needed to darken skies / lighten foreground etc)
  2. Detail Extractor (if not overdone, this lends a nice level of shadow detail)
  3. Polarization (enriches colors, which translate to an increased tone palette in B&W)
  4. Pro Contrast (added contrast helps definition)

Here's what the colour image looks like after this process:

Next, this processed image is opened in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 for the final conversion to B&W. Again, I have created a custom preset that I use to yield a rich result that closely emulates a selenium print of which I am very fond:

 

Here are some other examples showing first the out-of-camera JPEG, followed by the post-processed result:

As you can see, this shows quite a difference!

 

This example shows a less striking change, but certainly it is an improvement.

Some images, and it all depends on the overall exposure, actually do quite well as out-of-camera JPEGS... Here's an example:

I guess the bottom line for me is that I'll continue to shoot RAW and post process my B&W images. Sure it take longer, but the results are certainly worth it. And actually, for those of us who grew up in the wet darkroom, this is where a lot of the magic takes place. Only now, without the chemicals and the smell.

Ciao, for now!

 

No comments :

Post a Comment