This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Thursday 12 June 2014

Reflections - Part 1

As you, Dear Readers, probably know, I'm currently laid up in post-op mode, recovering from hernia surgery. As such, my excursions are limited to, shall we say, extremely short range. As such, I have time to reflect on things, and I thought perhaps to present a small retrospective of some of my images. Following along on the 'Reflections' theme, I thought why not take this literally?

As a photographer, I'm always fascinated by reflections, and indeed, always on the lookout for them. The above picture, taken near Lake Louise, shows the textbook presentation of the reflection image, wherein one composes so that the line of reflection is centred vertically to give the primary and reflected portions equal space in the frame. This is a time-honoured approach and showcases the scene well. Here are some more images in the same vein:

This scene is from Morro Bay, CA, at the bottom end of Big Sur.

 

I shot this on an excursion on one of the fiords near Ketchikan, on a cruise to Alaska. We lucked out with a stellar day, whereas the remainder of the cruise was quite overcast.

 

This is near Lake Louise, in the Canadian Rockies.

 

This is the very aptly named 'Mirror Lake' at Yosemite National Park. The water is remarkably still and with good light, you can see it lives up to its name.

 

Sometimes, mostly depending on the subject matter, I'll rotate the image so that it now stands upright. Here are a couple of examples:

This is a canal in Amsterdam, and has a lovely surrealistic feel to it. And, no, the duck doesn't mind being upside-down.

 

Here's another, much closer to home, in the harbour in Ucluelet. Alas, no ducks.

 

Here's an iPhone picture of my daughter, Rachael, while we were out shooting.

Often, I find that the reflection is what makes an image worthy of capture, or lends an additional element to the image that completes it, such as this capture in a Buddhist Temple in Taiwan:

Tomorrow, in Part 2, we'll look at some of the more esoteric and exciting ways to use reflections.

Ciao for now!

 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment