This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Thursday 24 July 2014

South Beach Stroll

Went out by myself to South Beach this morning, taking along just the iPhone again. It's a sunny day here in Ukee, with a bit of a breeze, but warm enough for just a sweater. Along the trail, just before the boardwalk ramp, there was a large pile of bear scat, so I was sure to make a bit of noise as I walked. We haven't seen a bear on the trails yet, but the evidence was certainly there!

As I prowled along the beach, I spotted what looked like scrimshaw carving on what I first thought was cork. Turned out upon closer examination to be a piece of bark that has been intricately carved out by industrious beetles.

In many areas on the beaches here, one can find enormous amounts of shell debris that has washed up upon the tide. As you walk, the shells crunch and crack beneath your feet.

Here, a rugged tuft of grass shone brightly in the sunshine, contrasted against the dark tones and shades of the surrounding rocks.

I walked back along the beach, past the visitor centre and watched the groups of surf school pupils further down the beach.

As I turned to exit to the parking lot, the snapping of the flag in the wind caught my attention, and I composed it against the brilliant blue sky and sun.
A short, but gratifying excursion. Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment